Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2448
Like Tree2349Likes

Thread: American Idol Season 12

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bs63093 View Post
    people who i can consider became MEGA STARS after idol

Carrie underwood
    Kelly clarkson
    Jennifer Hudson(who ever says other wise needs a reality check the woman has every single award in the business)
    Adam Lambert
    Daughtry
    kellie pickler(she got dropped but she is still a star)
    scotty mccreery(mmm we weill fing out after album #2)
    Phillip Phillips(ive been living in ecuador since January and people LOVE his music here, i hear Home and GGG atleast 5 times a dasy on the radio)

kinda sad though, over ten years of maaaany contestants and there are not even 10 to be considered huge
    Though there are quite a few people that have been successful after Idol (or at least more successful than without Idol). And quite a few of them can legitimately be called stars do to some level of name recognition beyond Idol. But I would consider a mega star one that has an A-list celebrity status that maintained well beyond the 15-minutes of fame for being on Idol. In my mind, only Carrie, Kelly and Jennifer meet that criteria.

Concert Stars
    Jen Hudson is doing great! But what bugs me is I hear more of her weight watchers ads then her actual music. She needs to get a hit single already. I never hear her on the radio-- ever-- which is odd for someone of her talent and caliber.
    Last edited by teesharky; 04-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    How can you end this statement with asking if an opportunity on Broadway shouldn't be classified as a success, yet you start the whole thing by basically discounting the biggest Broadway success this show has ever produced....Constantine!
    Because I couldn't care less about him so I didn't know he was on Broadway. And it seems I found a fan of him, take it easy, you can take him all by yourself, I don't mind

As for Fantasia I guess her first album was doing fine and even got some Grammy nominations but I read somehwere that single "Baby Mama" was a bad move. As for Fantasia on Broadway at least I heard that and back to that time I thought she would do great there.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by _luvqry View Post
    Because I couldn't care less about him so I didn't know he was on Broadway. And it seems I found a fan of him, take it easy, you can take him all by yourself, I don't mind

As for Fantasia I guess her first album was doing fine and even got some Grammy nominations but I read somehwere that single "Baby Mama" was a bad move. As for Fantasia on Broadway at least I heard that and back to that time I thought she would do great there.
    I'm not a big fan of Constantine but I do think he has done really well for himself on the Broadway stage & he should get credit where it is due.

As for Fantasia, to the best of my memory she was given the role in the Color Purple by Oprah Winfrey & then she proceeded to miss show after show by calling in sick & she had to be replaced a's unreliable. Not to surprising considering what a mess her personal life seems to be.

By the way Diana DeGarmo has also had quit a lot of success in musical theater.

Concert Stars
    Constantine was nominated for a Tony award for Rock of Ages so he is doing well. I haven't kept up with what he is doing now though?

Fantasia did win a Grammy so she is not dead yet. She just needs to get her personal life in order as there has been way too much drama there.

Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Constantine but I do think he has done really well for himself on the Broadway stage & he should get credit where it is due.

As for Fantasia, to the best of my memory she was given the role in the Color Purple by Oprah Winfrey & then she proceeded to miss show after show by calling in sick & she had to be replaced a's unreliable. Not to surprising considering what a mess her personal life seems to be.

By the way Diana DeGarmo has also had quit a lot of success in musical theater.
    I'm glad to hear about Diana. She seemed to be a nice person, I bought her album but didn't like that much.

Hil
    American Idol has launched a ton of successful people....I mean how often are people as successful as Carrie? That rarely happens, but i think it's AWESOME that it really does find good talent & gives them a platform and enough recognition to find work.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I don't think any of the artists mentioned here are "dead" by any means.

Carrie and Kelly have been the two biggest stars in terms of commercial success, but there have been plenty of others who have been successful in other areas as well. Diana, Fantasia, and Constintine with Broadway, Jennifer with Dreamgirls, Kat with Smash, etc.

I think Idol is a great platform to give unknown artists a chance in the industry, but also because it might open other doors if the music isn't as successful. Many of these people would probably be unknown if not for the opportunities that being on Idol affords.

Everybody has different definitions of being "successful," and that doesn't always mean the same thing to every artist. Yeah, it would be nice for every Idol contestant to become breakout stars but as Carrie and Kelly probably know, that's not the way the show/industry works. The industry is tough, and nobody SHOULD automatically have everything given to them because people know who they are.

There are still people out there who think being on Idol is taking the 'easy way out,' but I doubt most people would be able to handle the pressure, expectations, and overnight notoriety Idol brings.

At this point, it's fair to say being on a reality show doesn't promise anything, and if everybody had what it takes to "make it" there wouldn't be thousands of struggling artists out there. IMO, the fact that Idol produced two singing stars seems realistic, because the odds are always slim, no matter how well-known someone may have been at one point.

I agree Fantasia really needs to get her life together, and she I hope she can for the sake of herself and her daughter. Kinda sad to see what's been happening with her recently. From the little I've seen of her, she seems extremely fragile and a little too immature at this point, so I doubt she could handle being a big star. In her case, I would say it's probably not a bad thing that someone in her state isn't in Kelly or Carrie's position. Having the talent one thing, but being handle it is a whole different ballgame, and I'm sure that kind of lifestyle isn't for everybody.

As for Kat: I think she's extremely talented, but I still get the sense she doesn't quite know where she belongs. She made a generic pop album, and then went down a completely different road with "Unbroken," and now she's back to singing covers of pop songs on "Smash." If she doesn't know what she wants, or the public doesn't have a good impression of who she is, then I don't think they will be quick to latch on to her.
    Hil, teesharky and oldyfan like this.

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I don't think any of the artists mentioned here are "dead" by any means.

Carrie and Kelly have been the two biggest stars in terms of commercial success, but there have been plenty of others who have been successful in other areas as well. Diana, Fantasia, and Constintine with Broadway, Jennifer with Dreamgirls, Kat with Smash, etc.

I think Idol is a great platform to give unknown artists a chance in the industry, but also because it might open other doors if the music isn't as successful. Many of these people would probably be unknown if not for the opportunities that being on Idol affords.

Everybody has different definitions of being "successful," and that doesn't always mean the same thing to every artist. Yeah, it would be nice for every Idol contestant to become breakout stars but as Carrie and Kelly probably know, that's not the way the show/industry works. The industry is tough, and nobody SHOULD automatically have everything given to them because people know who they are.

There are still people out there who think being on Idol is taking the 'easy way out,' but I doubt most people would be able to handle the pressure, expectations, and overnight notoriety Idol brings.

At this point, it's fair to say being on a reality show doesn't promise anything, and if everybody had what it takes to "make it" there wouldn't be thousands of struggling artists out there. IMO, the fact that Idol produced two singing stars seems realistic, because the odds are always slim, no matter how well-known someone may have been at one point.

I agree Fantasia really needs to get her life together, and she I hope she can for the sake of herself and her daughter. Kinda sad to see what's been happening with her recently. From the little I've seen of her, she seems extremely fragile and a little too immature at this point, so I doubt she could handle being a big star. In her case, I would say it's probably not a bad thing that someone in her state isn't in Kelly or Carrie's position. Having the talent one thing, but being handle it is a whole different ballgame, and I'm sure that kind of lifestyle isn't for everybody.

As for Kat: I think she's extremely talented, but I still get the sense she doesn't quite know where she belongs. She made a generic pop album, and then went down a completely different road with "Unbroken," and now she's back to singing covers of pop songs on "Smash." If she doesn't know what she wants, or the public doesn't have a good impression of who she is, then I don't think they will be quick to latch on to her.
    I haven't heard anything about Fantasia lately?

I agree about Kat finding her niche. I just LOVE her voice...I'd love to hear her do a song like "Run" Snow patrol... I LOVE her voice though, so I really hope she finds her path and some excellent material. There's something about a certain tone to voices that I love, and she and Carrie have that. It's just beautiful to listen to....to me anyway.
    rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Last I heard about Fantasia she had a new baby boy and a rotten relationship ended. Nothing about her career.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Last I heard about Fantasia she had a new baby boy and a rotten relationship ended. Nothing about her career.
    Actually she has a new album coming out next week
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post

I agree about Kat finding her niche. I just LOVE her voice...I'd love to hear her do a song like "Run" Snow patrol... I LOVE her voice though, so I really hope she finds her path and some excellent material. There's something about a certain tone to voices that I love, and she and Carrie have that. It's just beautiful to listen to....to me anyway.
    Sorry, I should've clarified that: musically I haven't heard anything about Fantasia.

As far as I know, she has done fairly well in the Urban market, though, so I do think she has an audience. It just isn't the mainstream pop audience.

But she went on a rant about something and basically had a meltdown; that's what I mean when I say I don't think she can handle the pressure of the industry. So maybe it isn't a bad thing for her to not be known as a huge superstar.

Yeah, I think Kat needs to find her niche, but she does have a beautiful tone to her voice. I love "Unbroken" because I think it allows Kat to hit her "sweet spot" vocally. IMO, when she was on Idol she often seemed to pick songs that were too 'big' for her, but I think she is amazing when she singing softer material that fits her well.

I don't think Kat really fits in the mainstream pop market, like many of the artists pushed into it after Idol. That's not the bad thing, but Kat could make a great mainstream pop record with the right material. Her debut album was just a mess all around, and an example of where she doesn't need to go.

I bought my Mom her Christmas album last year, and we love it. Beautiful arrangements and vocals.
    Hil, teesharky, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Daughtry was my favorite from season 5 too, and Kat was second. She has a great voice actually, and I watch her on Smash now (likely cancelled next season due to poor ratings) and scratch my head wondering why she is not a big star yet. She is really really good.
    I have the same favourites (same order as well) as you in S5. Kat has a beautiful voice, she's stunningly gorgeous too. But I have to say that something about her personality just doesn't match with the music she wants to make. It doesn't feel real when she goes all pop. She looks uncomfortable performing them. In contrast, Jessica Sanchez looked so comfortable performing her pop release, totally let loose on stage and enjoyed herself. Audience can really sense that imo.

I'm not a big fan of Kat's acting as well. She's pretty good, but there's still lots of room for improvement, imo.

Concert Stars
    Daughtry was my favorite from season 5 too, and Kat was second. She has a great voice actually, and I watch her on Smash now (likely cancelled next season due to poor ratings) and scratch my head wondering why she is not a big star yet. She is really really good.
    What?! I don't want it to be cancelled! );
    Smokyiiis and bs63093 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post

Well stay tuned, she is set to destroy your eardrums with another screaming/screeching fit on the Idol stage Wednesday night.

Also, I have to comment on someone that has not been discussed at all around here except in a derogatory way & that would be the entre into the big time that Idol has been for Taylor Hicks. The guy has a long running show in Las Vegas for crying out loud. That sort of stuff is usually reserved for the truly big time artists...Cher, Elton, Garth, Tim & Faith. People want to say the Soul Patrol ruined it for Kat & Chris, I say they made it possible for Taylor. Good on ya mate!

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Though there are quite a few people that have been successful after Idol (or at least more successful than without Idol). And quite a few of them can legitimately be called stars do to some level of name recognition beyond Idol. But I would consider a mega star one that has an A-list celebrity status that maintained well beyond the 15-minutes of fame for being on Idol. In my mind, only Carrie, Kelly and Jennifer meet that criteria.
    I would agree with that assessment. Somebody reaching mega star status is extremely rare so producing three in twelve years is actually a very good success rate. There are also probably dozens of people making a good living in the entertainment industry, even if they aren't stars by anybody's definition. Even that is difficult to do and they probably wouldn't be there without the show. I do wonder however why some of the talent havent been able to have more success. I thought Skyler from a couple seasons back had a good shot and from what I understand she doesn't even have a record deal.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I would agree with that assessment. Somebody reaching mega star status is extremely rare so producing three in twelve years is actually a very good success rate. There are also probably dozens of people making a good living in the entertainment industry, even if they aren't stars by anybody's definition. Even that is difficult to do and they probably wouldn't be there without the show. I do wonder however why some of the talent havent been able to have more success. I thought Skyler from a couple seasons back had a good shot and from what I understand she doesn't even have a record deal.
    AGree.
    I think it is very difficult to discuss success when we are going to use two of the biggest names in pop music to compare the term success.
    I mean, if you are going to use "The President of The United States" as a guage for success then there are going to be very very few people succeeding.

Constantine is a ctually a pretty good example. Is he successful? Sure. IF you want to be a working actor who makes his living on the stage than Constantine is living his dream. And there are many many hard working actors on stage in NEw York and on national tours doing what they love to do.

You cannot compare any of them to Carrie Underwood. But they are still succeeding.

The one thing that Idol does do though that can create a bit of an illusion is, it has the moeny and the clout now to put its products into the mainstream entertainment industry and "create an image" of success for itself. By making the previous contestants look successful it makes the franchise look successful.
    So placeing DeGarmo, Fantasia, Constantine into shows, and then having success with those shows is a great boon for the franchise, even if it does not make the contestants household names.

Having Taylor doing a Vegas show, is a boon for the franchise even if it does not make him a household name.

Getting PP's song injected into the Olymics was a "huge boon" for the franchise even though it did not make Phillips a household name.

So you see, Idol gets stronger for having its hand in all these areas. It is having lots of success in alot of areas.

....though the contestants don't neccessarily become household names.

Concert Stars
    On a side note:

I liked Kellys performance. I do like the song. (yeah, I'm a little tired of the "fist in the air" shout shout shout, but I like those type of songs anyway so it was good for me).
    But the concept for the performance was a little off. The dress was less than flatering, the neon eyeliner was a terrible idea. The hair did not look dressed to match the concept. And her voice continues to sound "stressed and strained" having to do these very "shouty" style of songs.
    These kinds of songs sound great on CD, they are very full and anthemy and well constructed so the voice sound fierce and imposing. But when you have to deliver that sound "live" song after song, night after night, and try to make it sound as fierce as the recording, it is going to take a toll.

I like that rasp in her voice, but if I were a real fan of hers, I would very concerned about her future as a singer.........

(not necessarily as a pop star diva, but as a legitmate singer).

Concert Stars
    Jen Hudson is doing great! But what bugs me is I hear more of her weight watchers ads then her actual music. She needs to get a hit single already. I never hear her on the radio-- ever-- which is odd for someone of her talent and caliber.
    This!
    I think Hudson is a great singer. But she has never really had a hit song to call her own.
    She has had some decent success at R&B and Urban formats, but nothing recent and nothing really concrete.

I think as an established Diva (like in her commericals) she is an acceptable product.
    But when it comes to singing music that someone can have a personal attachment to, I think her personna is too cold and too selfcentered. It does not seem to traslate, even though she is a tremendous singer.
    teesharky likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    i dont wanna get hate around here, but i think i could pick any of theyre careers id pick JHUDS any day, acting and singing, plus 1 OSCAr, Golden Globe and Grammy >over multiple grammys.. just saying lol

•