Page 52 of 123 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2448
Like Tree2349Likes

Thread: American Idol Season 12

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Merle Haggard ‏@merlehaggard 15h
    @KreeAI12 great job on "help me make it through the night"

Merle Haggard ‏@merlehaggard 7h
    @KreeAI12 a lot of people sing all there life, but never sing that good..

Kree Harrison ‏@KreeAI12 7h
    @merlehaggard from you! Wow. You r one of my biggest influences. "Thank you" doesn't cover what I want to say. Xoxo

Kree Harrison ‏@KreeAI12 7h
    @merlehaggard a duet with you would make my world go round. Maybe one day :-)

Thanks so much for posting those tweets! That was a GREAT compliment to Kree!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    There's really no formula for who will be successful after Idol and who will not. The judges and the media raved that Pia was going to be a megastar (I adore her, by the way), but she hasn't even released an album, and was dropped from Interscope. Latoya London, Carly Smithson, and lots of others have been in similar positions, too.

And then there are people like Clay, Ruben, Lauren, etc. who had a ton of support on the show and maybe had a hit or two, but couldn't keep the momentum going. Even Scotty, who still seems to have a lot of fans, cannot seem to get radio behind him, and he's just doing OK right now.

Simon was dead-on when he said that people like Carrie and Kelly could make it in the 'real world' of the music industry; if success post-Idol was based on having a lot of fans and buzz, why hasn't Idol cranked out dozens of superstars? It's one thing to be big in the context of the show, but it's a whole different ballgame to be able to translate that into success afterwards.

IMO, Idol and the producers of the show make it seem like they HAVE cranked out dozens of superstars, when, in reality, they have not. I think the show creates more OPPORTUNITIES for people who may not receive them otherwise, but it's sort of silly to suggest that being on a reality show for a few months automatically means you've got your foot in the door. The music industry is tough, and just because people know who you are and supported you on a reality show doesn't mean people will still be there in the end. I feel like some of the constants now think that they've got in the bag because they have lots of support, but it's been proven again and again, there's no magic factor for success after the show. Carrie was dead-on when she said winning Idol is just a title; working for it and earning your place in the industry is a whole different battle.

There can be all kinds of reasons why someone is not successful post-Idol, but there isn't just one factor. It could be age, material, sales, image, performance skills, etc. I think people try to simplify it too much as say "well, this person had tons of support on the show, they should be a superstar." But, that kind of things happens a lot in the industry, too. Someone with a bright future can be forgotten in a second because someone new comes along, they've made some bad single choices, the interest isn't there anymore, etc.

And I can believe what the producers said about Pia; she was one of my favorite contestants from any season, but I think it was obvious she just didn't appeal to a lot of people. She tended to sing the same types of songs, and it was obvious she didn't have much experience as a performer. I think she could've done better had she had some experience first, and then tried out again.

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Well the week you are talking about is Top 4 week. I actually have a video of the results show that week and Ryan did say Bo was safe first and then Carrie. But Ryan never said anything about it being in the order of the voting results.
    There was one week I THOUGHT he did....b/c I just remember thinking how can Bo beat us?.....maybe I just thought that. I dunno...I used to have all of the shows on my old computer and I don't anymore. :/ I would go back and watch cause I'm just that lame, but lol oh well. I could definitely be wrong.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    There's really no formula for who will be successful after Idol and who will not. The judges and the media raved that Pia was going to be a megastar (I adore her, by the way), but she hasn't even released an album, and was dropped from Interscope. Latoya London, Carly Smithson, and lots of others have been in similar positions, too.

And then there are people like Clay, Ruben, Lauren, etc. who had a ton of support on the show and maybe had a hit or two, but couldn't keep the momentum going. Even Scotty, who still seems to have a lot of fans, cannot seem to get radio behind him, and he's just doing OK right now.

Simon was dead-on when he said that people like Carrie and Kelly could make it in the 'real world' of the music industry; if success post-Idol was based on having a lot of fans and buzz, why hasn't Idol cranked out dozens of superstars? It's one thing to be big in the context of the show, but it's a whole different ballgame to be able to translate that into success afterwards.

IMO, Idol and the producers of the show make it seem like they HAVE cranked out dozens of superstars, when, in reality, they have not. I think the show creates more OPPORTUNITIES for people who may not receive them otherwise, but it's sort of silly to suggest that being on a reality show for a few months automatically means you've got your foot in the door. The music industry is tough, and just because people know who you are and supported you on a reality show doesn't mean people will still be there in the end. I feel like some of the constants now think that they've got in the bag because they have lots of support, but it's been proven again and again, there's no magic factor for success after the show. Carrie was dead-on when she said winning Idol is just a title; working for it and earning your place in the industry is a whole different battle.

There can be all kinds of reasons why someone is not successful post-Idol, but there isn't just one factor. It could be age, material, sales, image, performance skills, etc. I think people try to simplify it too much as say "well, this person had tons of support on the show, they should be a superstar." But, that kind of things happens a lot in the industry, too. Someone with a bright future can be forgotten in a second because someone new comes along, they've made some bad single choices, the interest isn't there anymore, etc.

And I can believe what the producers said about Pia; she was one of my favorite contestants from any season, but I think it was obvious she just didn't appeal to a lot of people. She tended to sing the same types of songs, and it was obvious she didn't have much experience as a performer. I think she could've done better had she had some experience first, and then tried out again.
    Completely agree.
    There has to be a relavencey to your personality at the time that you are presented to America or there will be nothing for people to hold onto.

It is easier in some way in the country industry, if only because if you ae choosen like a Kellie or Lauren to be given "a shot", you are "announced and packaged" and "sent to radio" as a product ready to go.

But if America does not respond "and quickly" you are very quickly let go.
    Its brutal but not as a brutal as the pop world where you and your music have to be proven before you are even allowed a shot.

As kree is so much like some of the great ladies of country, it is hard to imagine that she will hav any more success than some one like Trisha Y. is having right now.

But she will most definately be given a shot.

(another example of someone who seemed like a sure winner in the market place was that country girl from last year who as a "miranda wannabe". And that went nowhere).

I agree with you but I think it has always been like this. Latoya London kept telling during AI3 she was ok, she was already a winner even if she didn't win AI and I remember Simon telling her "No you're not". She got a record deal, messed up during some of the live performances and the album didn't sell well. Constantine thought he would be a star after leaving the show but no no no. It seems like Bo Bice faded after AI4 ended. And there are many other cases but just to point it has always been like this, 2 words... Justin Guarini.

The part I most agree with you is that even though all the contestants has some fans, after 12 seasons I hoped they would understand some of them if not the most are actually fans of the show. The minute you're eliminated and the minute a new season begins, they are gone. The transition to "real life", keeping the fans and getting more is what will make or break them. And so far few of them have succeeded.

On the other hand we already had a lof of posts about their "success". I mean most of them will never be a superstar like Carrie or Kelly but what is "success"? If they were looking for a record deal and they got it and they can live with that as their regular job, isn't that success? Or even if AI managed to give them a new opportunity on Broadway or anything else, isn't that success?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by _luvqry View Post
    I agree with you but I think it has always been like this. Latoya London kept telling during AI3 she was ok, she was already a winner even if she didn't win AI and I remember Simon telling her "No you're not". She got a record deal, messed up during some of the live performances and the album didn't sell well. Constantine thought he would be a star after leaving the show but no no no. It seems like Bo Bice faded after AI4 ended. And there are many other cases but just to point it has always been like this, 2 words... Justin Guarini.

The part I most agree with you is that even though all the contestants has some fans, after 12 seasons I hoped they would understand some of them if not the most are actually fans of the show. The minute you're eliminated and the minute a new season begins, they are gone. The transition to "real life", keeping the fans and getting more is what will make or break them. And so far few of them have succeeded.

On the other hand we already had a lof of posts about their "success". I mean most of them will never be a superstar like Carrie or Kelly but what is "success"? If they were looking for a record deal and they got it and they can live with that as their regular job, isn't that success? Or even if AI managed to give them a new opportunity on Broadway or anything else, isn't that success?
    How can you end this statement with asking if an opportunity on Broadway shouldn't be classified as a success, yet you start the whole thing by basically discounting the biggest Broadway success this show has ever produced....Constantine!

Concert Stars
    Broadway is the largest "live" stage on the planet.
    It is success.
    But that does not automatically mean that you are a success when you are on Broadway.
    If only because, I dol and Sony have enough money to "put" you in a show on Broadway.
    But will you thrive and be a success?

But yes, if being a live performer is what you want. Broadway is huge.

And Fantasia was by far the most successful at it with Color Purple which was a critical smash and popular smash.

Constantine is still a bit of an anomoly.

His show "Age of Rock" was a novelty.

Concert Stars
    I think you are woefully under estimating Constantine & his stage presence.

The play you mention, by the way is called Rock Of Ages for which he got incredibly positive reviews in Rolling Stone, The Associated Press, The New York Times & The Chicago Tribune. This was a role for which he garnered a Tony Nomination as best lead actor in a musical. He also headlined the national touring company of the show.

He has also played Judas Iscariot in Jesus Christ Superstar, and Sammy in The Wedding Singer.

He was cast in the lead role of Melvin Ferd the Nerd in The Toxic Avenger in Houston, a role for which once again he got glowing reviews in the Houston Chronicle.

And he is now a part of the touring production of Jekyll & Hyde.

None of these roles or these plays are considered to be “novelty” productions.

He was also selected as Broadway’s Star Of The Year for 2009 by Broadway.com.

Idol had nothing to do with him being cast in any of these roles, but they did indeed give him enough face time to get some name recognition.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I'll say upfront that this wasn't nice of me but I'll never forget the night Constantine got eliminated, I laughed so hard. I'll never forget the look on his face. He so thought he was going to win. And to be beat by the 'country bumpkin' I'm guessing was an additional dig to his ego!!!!

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    I'll say upfront that this wasn't nice of me but I'll never forget the night Constantine got eliminated, I laughed so hard. I'll never forget the look on his face. He so thought he was going to win. And to be beat by the 'country bumpkin' I'm guessing was an additional dig to his ego!!!!
    LOL do you remember the video they had of him trying to kick the cameral oh ..wait.... Constantine Falls - YouTube

I remember an interview with Carrie where she said Constantine said it was he, Bo, & Carrie in the top lol...and then he was voted off.

Constantine's AI audition - YouTube lol this makes me miss Simon. He was hilarious! Paula trying to form one coherent sentence lol

Constantine's cockiness sort of made him not very appealing. It's not like he was that bad, but he just didn't come across very humble or anything.
    _luvqry and Pi314CA like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Completely agree.
    There has to be a relavencey to your personality at the time that you are presented to America or there will be nothing for people to hold onto.

It is easier in some way in the country industry, if only because if you ae choosen like a Kellie or Lauren to be given "a shot", you are "announced and packaged" and "sent to radio" as a product ready to go.

But if America does not respond "and quickly" you are very quickly let go.
    Its brutal but not as a brutal as the pop world where you and your music have to be proven before you are even allowed a shot.

As kree is so much like some of the great ladies of country, it is hard to imagine that she will hav any more success than some one like Trisha Y. is having right now.

But she will most definately be given a shot.

(another example of someone who seemed like a sure winner in the market place was that country girl from last year who as a "miranda wannabe". And that went nowhere).
    Yeah, people have to have something to latch on to with the contestants, and if it's not there, there's really nothing they can do about it. It's about much more than the voice itself, but the entire package. I think Carrie appealed to people because she was just an average young woman going for her dream; you could tell that she basically had no experience, but she proved she wanted to be on the show, and she continued to get better. Plus, she was extremely endearing and adorable, and she wasn't affected at all. She had that "pinch me am I dreaming?" attitude after the show, which is always a great thing. People love the ultimate Cinderella story, and Carrie had all of that.

Since then, I think Idol has had a lot of contestants with potential, but something was missing. The personality, the growth, the song selection, etc. I think Carrie was just on the show at the right time, and she did everything right. She didn't have an ego, she listened to the feedback, and she got better as time went on. So many of these contestants already seem affected, like they think they're all that, which never appeals to a large audience. Then there's odd song selection, off performances, egos, you name it.

To be fair, I do think the show was VERY different in earlier seasons, and people like Carrie, Kellie, Chris, etc. have benefited from that for sure. I think the show is a bit too flashy now, and focuses more on the drama and the judges. In the earlier seasons, it didn't seem so bad, and the contestants themselves seemed more competitive as if they were (to quote Randy), "In it to win it." Now, it just seems like so many of them want their 15 minutes, or don't realize how hard it is after the show.

All that said, I think Idol gives average folks opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have, which is a great thing. Even if most of them don't make it in the music industry, they are more well-known now, and could probably make some sort of living doing what they love.

Daisy mentioning Constintine being voted off reminded me of this. Both Kat and Chris thought Chris had it in the bag:

Hil likes this.

Hil
    I love Katherine McPhee. I've loved her on Smash and have been buying all of her singles from that show. I hope she does well with her new record deal.
    Carrieflattsfan and bs63093 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I love Katherine McPhee. I've loved her on Smash and have been buying all of her singles from that show. I hope she does well with her new record deal.
    I met Kat a few years ago and she was a sweetheart. I love "Unbroken." I sorta still get the sense she doesn't quite know where she wants to be, though.

She isn't a manufactured pop star, and if it's forced, that will come through.
    Hil likes this.

Hil
    I met Kat a few years ago and she was a sweetheart. I love "Unbroken." I sorta still get the sense she doesn't quite know where she wants to be, though.

She isn't a manufactured pop star, and if it's forced, that will come through.
    That's awesome. I'd love to meet her. Yea, she sounds great on everything. I love her voice on Redneck Woman (Smash) way better than Gretchen Wilson
    My favorites : Heart Shaped Wreckage, Original, Some Boys, Redneck Woman, Rewrite This Story, Run

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    That's awesome. I'd love to meet her. Yea, she sounds great on everything. I love her voice on Redneck Woman (Smash) way better than Gretchen Wilson
    My favorites : Heart Shaped Wreckage, Original, Some Boys, Redneck Woman, Rewrite This Story, Run
    I LOVE "Some Boys" and "Run."

"Touch Me" is hot, too.

Concert Stars
    Soul Patrol and Vote for the worst ruined it for Kat and Chris. Lol
    Hil, Carrieflattsfan and HuiZ like this.

Hil
    I LOVE "Some Boys" and "Run."

"Touch Me" is hot, too.
    I think the songs on this year's soundtrack as a whole are better than last year. I do like touch me though. My favorite song "Run" Katherine sang last year wasn't even included. I had to rip it from youtube.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Soul Patrol and Vote for the worst ruined it for Kat and Chris. Lol
    Agreed.

As much as I dislike the past few WGWG's, I will not hesitate to say I think Taylor Hicks was the worst Idol winner ever. lol.

He obviously had all the older women voting for him, but to me he just came off as cheesy and campy. It was like the drunk, funny uncle at your yearly family barbeque. I just thought he was absolutely painful to watch/listen to. Kat wasn't the best singer, but I liked her voice, and overall she was much better than Taylor.

Chris Daughtry was my favorite from season 5, but it was pretty obvious he got a bit of a big head towards the end, and it was sort of a turn off. I was glad when he had some success post-Idol, but I'm not surprised Daughtry was only popular for a few years. I enjoyed the first 3 albums and I bought the last one, but the songs basically bleed into each other after awhile. They had nothing to set them apart from the hundreds of generic rock bands out there, which is a shame, because Chris is fantastic.
    supercarriefan and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    Daughtry was my favorite from season 5 too, and Kat was second. She has a great voice actually, and I watch her on Smash now (likely cancelled next season due to poor ratings) and scratch my head wondering why she is not a big star yet. She is really really good.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    people who i can consider became MEGA STARS after idol

Carrie underwood
    Kelly clarkson
    Jennifer Hudson(who ever says other wise needs a reality check the woman has every single award in the business)
    Adam Lambert
    Daughtry
    kellie pickler(she got dropped but she is still a star)
    scotty mccreery(mmm we weill fing out after album #2)
    Phillip Phillips(ive been living in ecuador since January and people LOVE his music here, i hear Home and GGG atleast 5 times a dasy on the radio)

kinda sad though, over ten years of maaaany contestants and there are not even 10 to be considered huge

•