Page 111 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2448
Like Tree2349Likes

Thread: American Idol Season 12

  1. #2201
    Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Pi314CA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by mbh View Post
    We MIGHT NOT HAVE "American Idol Show", after next year DUE TO THE DECLINE IN RATINGS. IF, you stick TOO LONG in a strategy, it will not work anymore as the MUSIC MARKET ENVIRONMENT CHANGES. This development leads to the ever-increasing significance of NEW STRATEGY to American Idol's SUCCESS. American Idol MUST ADAPT to the "CHANGING NEEDS and OPPORTUNITIES" - otherwise, American Idol Show "will extinct". MARKET-ORIENTED INNOVATION - they are trying to create COMPETITION IN FAN BASES "to make the music market VIBRANT". IF, THEIR MARKETPLACE does not provide ENOUGH COMPETITION among the FAN BASES of Candice, Kree and Angie - there will be no buzz. THEY ARE JUST RESPONDING FAVORABLY TO A "RADICAL PROPOSAL OF CHANGE". Another RADICAL CHANGE is the release of Candice's album in July, 2013 - "strike while the iron is still hot".
    While American Idol may be doing what you've said, all that may not help. The American Idol Show seems to be a step behind as they try to "keep up with the Joneses" by having high profile celebrity judges, etc. but IMO it is their straying from their initial focus of finding pure, raw talent that has led to their decline in ratings. Again IMO, the voices of the past several years of winners and runner-ups, for the most part, just was not on par with a multi-platinum artist (using Simon's words). So, these artists do not stand out amongst their genre peers. Granted, not many do and extremely rarely does one like Carrie come along.

    Carrie is such a gem of a find. I still remember her singing "God Fearing Women Get The Blues". I didn't know that song so I searched it and listened to Martina sing that at the CMAs. I was like stunned and said wow, Carrie's version is soooo much better! I was saying who is this Carrie Underwood.
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #2202
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Last season's 'medicore' winner has sold nearly a million albums, 4 million copies of his first single, and over 500,000 copies of his second single.

    I knew P2's single was multi-platinum, but 4 million... wow. And a nearly platinum album already? Impressive.
    Honestly thought he would go nowhere but, he's done rather well. Congrats to him. This just shows how important picking a single is- especially at the right time.

  • #2203
    Insane Carrie Fan The Nanook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,858
    Concert Stars
    The only person from The Voice that has a shot at anything is Cassadee Pope, but it seems like she has yet to release anything and I don't know when she will.

  • #2204
    Insane Carrie Fan chevrolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    The only person from The Voice that has a shot at anything is Cassadee Pope, but it seems like she has yet to release anything and I don't know when she will.
    Maybe this speaks well for Jimmy's strategy of getting the Idol's music "out there" immediately.

  • #2205
    Insane Carrie Fan chevrolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    While American Idol may be doing what you've said, all that may not help. The American Idol Show seems to be a step behind as they try to "keep up with the Joneses" by having high profile celebrity judges, etc. but IMO it is their straying from their initial focus of finding pure, raw talent that has led to their decline in ratings. Again IMO, the voices of the past several years of winners and runner-ups, for the most part, just was not on par with a multi-platinum artist (using Simon's words). So, these artists do not stand out amongst their genre peers. Granted, not many do and extremely rarely does one like Carrie come along.

    Carrie is such a gem of a find. I still remember her singing "God Fearing Women Get The Blues". I didn't know that song so I searched it and listened to Martina sing that at the CMAs. I was like stunned and said wow, Carrie's version is soooo much better! I was saying who is this Carrie Underwood.
    So true. I actually believed AI was a genuine amateur competition with the winner returning Clive Davis' contract investment with a built-in fanbase.

    That ship has sailed.

    For lack of star-quality competitors the show morphed into pimping 2-3 artists simultaneously and the judges pimping and begging for votes and abandoning the critique/mentor role.

    Unfortunately it's too late to return to that. "Stacking the deck" with 5 talented ladies and 5 lame dudes made even casual watchers realize the not so "reality TV" in front of them.
    pklongbeach likes this.

  • #2206
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,135
    Phillip Philips only did that well because someone managed to get 'Home' played as an Olympic song.....that being said congrats to him.
    pklongbeach, rainbow1 and maddkat like this.

  • #2207
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Agreed to the last several posts.

    AI has become something too big to sustain itself, and got greedy in the process. Several years ago it became obvious that is was just a platform for selling product. The Coca Cola placements, the Ford placements, the pimping of the judges product, it just got terrible for intelligent people to watch who understood what was going on right before their eyes.

    And I agree with Chevy, i think it is too late to try to go back to something they once were.

    Its impossible to say what they will become, but it is clear to everyone now that they will never have what they had again.

    As for P2, I think he is a solid example of what AI has become.

    P2 is not the artist that people are interested in. Its that song. And the 2nd single is resonating (only to a certain degree) based on the popularity of that previous song.
    People are not running around talkng about P2. Some may be talking about the song, but not many. For the most part it is just a song that works well in the format it is in and that is about it.

    Yes, close to platium is good. Absolutely no doubt.
    Idol has done well in promoting this product and they are making some money on it. Great for them.
    That is what they do!
    But had there been no Home, there would not be a P2.

    No idol has been lucky enough to have a coronation song resonate so well in the market place. Even Kellys Moment..... did not resonate this well. So this is rather uncharted territory. And I think Idol knew since P2 sang it on Idol and it resonated so well, that they needed to do the same with the new batch of winners.

    I have no idea what will become of P2. He still reads to me as a backwater snob who thinks he's too good for all these suits and pretty people, hates the establishment, but sure has his hand out when they are handing him a check.

    Remember this is still the same guy who denounced the very song that has put him on the map!
    So I still don't see it as him who is having success, I see it as Idol having success with the song Home.
    (It could have been anyone singing that darn song and it still would have been a hit.)
    maddkat and Smokyiiis like this.

  • #2208
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    Some of you really can't seem to give Phillip any sort of credit, can you? To say his album is nearly platinum simply because his song played on the Olympics over six months ago is insulting. Sorry, Hil, but it is. Home, the single, is multi-platinum because of the use at the Olympics, in commercials and such, but I refuse to believe that nearly 1 million people bought his album because one song was played at the Olympics. That's absurd.

    Yes, Patrick, I agree that without having Home as a first single, Phillip would not be doing so well. However, is it not the case with every successful artist that without one great song they would not successful? Without two great singles like JTTW and BHC, Carrie might not have been so successful right out of the gate either.

    His album is quite good btw. It's such a shame that so many are willing to just write Phillip off.
    JB172 likes this.

  • #2209
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Some of you really can't seem to give Phillip any sort of credit, can you? To say his album is nearly platinum simply because his song played on the Olympics over six months ago is insulting. Sorry, Hil, but it is. Home, the single, is multi-platinum because of the use at the Olympics, in commercials and such, but I refuse to believe that nearly 1 million people bought his album because one song was played at the Olympics. That's absurd.

    Yes, Patrick, I agree that without having Home as a first single, Phillip would not be doing so well. However, is it not the case with every successful artist that without one great song they would not successful? Without two great singles like JTTW and BHC, Carrie might not have been so successful right out of the gate either.

    His album is quite good btw. It's such a shame that so many are willing to just write Phillip off.
    How is it insulting? It's true! Yes, I think that is the ONLY reason it's sold that many copies. I get you don't like my opinions, you seem to disagree with everything I say and make sure to mention me, but I can't change that they are infact my opinions. I like to hear what other people have to say, even those that don't agree with me....
    maddkat likes this.

  • #2210
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    Phillip Philips only did that well because someone managed to get 'Home' played as an Olympic song.....that being said congrats to him.
    4 million singles sold is still 4 millions single sold.
    supercarriefan likes this.

  • #2211
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Some of you really can't seem to give Phillip any sort of credit, can you? To say his album is nearly platinum simply because his song played on the Olympics over six months ago is insulting. Sorry, Hil, but it is. Home, the single, is multi-platinum because of the use at the Olympics, in commercials and such, but I refuse to believe that nearly 1 million people bought his album because one song was played at the Olympics. That's absurd.

    Yes, Patrick, I agree that without having Home as a first single, Phillip would not be doing so well. However, is it not the case with every successful artist that without one great song they would not successful? Without two great singles like JTTW and BHC, Carrie might not have been so successful right out of the gate either.

    His album is quite good btw. It's such a shame that so many are willing to just write Phillip off.
    Meg, you are exactly right every artist who has ever had success has done so because they had at least one great song that people really liked, Phillip's album is really good.
    supercarriefan likes this.

  • #2212
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    How is it insulting? It's true! Yes, I think that is the ONLY reason it's sold that many copies. I get you don't like my opinions, you seem to disagree with everything I say and make sure to mention me, but I can't change that they are infact my opinions.
    No need to make this personal, Hil. I don't disagree with everything you say. I have happened to disagree with you a handful of times in this thread. I mention you so that people know who I am responding to with certain posts. I have made thousands of posts on this board with no mention of you, so it is unfortunate that you are so offended by the few I have made with references to you.

    I will be sure not to mention you or comment on your posts in the future.
    I happen to really like you, Hil, and think you make great posts. I didn't realize it was a crime to disagree with those posts.

  • #2213
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    4 million singles sold is still 4 millions single sold.
    And a platinum album is still a platinum album (wink).

  • #2214
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    No need to make this personal, Hil. I don't disagree with everything you say. I have happened to disagree with you a handful of times in this thread. I mention you so that people know who I am responding to with certain posts. I have made thousands of posts on this board with no mention of you, so it is unfortunate that you are so offended by the few I have made with references to you.

    I will be sure not to mention you or comment on your posts in the future.
    I happen to really like you, Hil, and think you make great posts. I didn't realize it was a crime to disagree with those posts.
    It's not a crime...I think it's AWESOME to have discussion and i wasn't offended at all. If no one ever agrees with me I'm not offended.

    and whoever said 4 million albums sold is 4 million sold....i totally agree with that. The only reason I mentioned the Olympics is we were talking about Idol's ability to produce a star....His song being played at the Olympics was awesome promotion for him.

  • #2215
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    And a platinum album is still a platinum album (wink).
    That's right and all the $$$ in the bank account that comes from it all looks the same.
    supercarriefan likes this.

  • #2216
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    I to wanna reiterate my opinion. It is just one persons opinion, but it is mine that P is riding on the success of one very popular song. A song that he himself had no real part in and wanted no real attachement to. I just think that is fair to state.

    Carries case is very different is so many ways, but with regard to "isn't it true that every artist need that one big hit to launch them", it is absolutely true. And P has had that.

    I stated that I don't know what will become of him. It is now his time to find out.

    Carrie Underwood can not be compared to P2 in any way shape or form.
    Her coronation song was moderately accepted, it did debut at #1 and promptly plummeted.

    But she has had a #1 hit single everytime out ever since for 8 years.
    You can point at any one of them and suggest thy are the reason. But it won't be true!! Carrie herself is what is driving her and has been for a very long time. Not the music.

    I would argue she is the oposite of P2.
    Carrie seems to remain famous almost regardless of what she releases. She is just that good at what she does. And she is that accessable and that mainstream.

    Nothing P2 has done would even hint that he will ever be compared to her. (just thought i would throw that out there since Carrie was brought in on this).

  • #2217
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    I agree that the Olympics was great promo. I don't think the Olympics are the sole reason Phillip has done so well in terms of album sales.

    Differing opinions lead to awesome discussion (wink).

  • #2218
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    The bottom line is that every artist from The Beatles to Carrie Underwood and everyone in between has had a song that has jumped started their career now after that song has jump started _________'s career it is up to ______________ to take it from there.
    Hil and supercarriefan like this.

  • #2219
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I to wanna reiterate my opinion. It is just one persons opinion, but it is mine that P is riding on the success of one very popular song. A song that he himself had no real part in and wanted no real attachement to. I just think that is fair to state.

    Carries case is very different is so many ways, but with regard to "isn't it true that every artist need that one big hit to launch them", it is absolutely true. And P has had that.

    I stated that I don't know what will become of him. It is now his time to find out.

    Carrie Underwood can not be compared to P2 in any way shape or form.
    Her coronation song was moderately accepted, it did debut at #1 and promptly plummeted.

    But she has had a #1 hit single everytime out ever since for 8 years.
    You can point at any one of them and suggest thy are the reason. But it won't be true!! Carrie herself is what is driving her and has been for a very long time. Not the music.

    I would argue she is the oposite of P2.
    Carrie seems to remain famous almost regardless of what she releases. She is just that good at what she does. And she is that accessable and that mainstream.

    Nothing P2 has done would even hint that he will ever be compared to her. (just thought i would throw that out there since Carrie was brought in on this).
    Just to be clear: I was not comparing Carrie's career to Phillip's career. I was using Carrie as a point of reference for the idea that all successful artists need a hit single as a springboard for their careers. I used Carrie because she is obviously something we all know about lol.
    Yes, Carrie herself is now the driving force behind her own career, but she still needed a great song to help launch her career. That was my point.
    It doesn't matter that Carrie's coronation single didn't do so well. That's irrelevant. She still had a couple of big hit songs after that. It doesn't matter when the hit song comes for an artist. It could be several years into their careers.

    It remains to be seen if Phillip can continue this wave of success. I'm trying not to get too excited because David Cook did exceptionally well with his first album and singles, yet his second album didn't fare nearly as well.
    pklongbeach likes this.

  • #2220
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Some of you really can't seem to give Phillip any sort of credit, can you? To say his album is nearly platinum simply because his song played on the Olympics over six months ago is insulting. Sorry, Hil, but it is. Home, the single, is multi-platinum because of the use at the Olympics, in commercials and such, but I refuse to believe that nearly 1 million people bought his album because one song was played at the Olympics. That's absurd.

    Yes, Patrick, I agree that without having Home as a first single, Phillip would not be doing so well. However, is it not the case with every successful artist that without one great song they would not successful? Without two great singles like JTTW and BHC, Carrie might not have been so successful right out of the gate either.

    His album is quite good btw. It's such a shame that so many are willing to just write Phillip off.
    The fact that P2 was able to get the Olympic promo is not a shabby accomplishment at all. Rarely would artists would get the same opportunity. The Olympics does not use everyone or just anyone. Plus, I would add that "Home" being the success it was right off the bat was what played into scoring the gig.

    I wouldn't undermine P2's success because great singles ARE what makes or breaks you. Like you said, if Carrie wasn't given the opportunity to sing songs like JTTW/BHC, who knows how successful she would have been.
    supercarriefan and HuiZ like this.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •