Ultimate Carrie Fan

American Idol ratings slip in Season 11 premiere. So what?

Last year saw the debut of two American Idol look-a-likes "The X Factor" and "The Voice." So, perhaps it's not too surprising that on Wednesday night, American Idol Season 11 opened to an audience that was 17 percent smaller than last year's opening episode, according to Nielsen ratings data.

The two-hour premiere covering American Idol auditions in Savannah, Georgia, was watched by a little more than 26 million people, down from almost 30 million in the 2011 premiere.

American Idol ratings slip in Season 11 premiere. So what? - CSMonitor.com

Concert Stars
    I don't think this adds up to much.
    Last year was gonna be big cause the format was promised to have changed with the new judges.
    Well, this year there is a slight hit cause the format infact did not change at all. So no new viewers came along and some of the curious were just not that curious anymore.
    It's still a huge number. the real challenge will be coming with The Voice. People do like new things. Even if it is the same thing packaged differently.
    But if Idol stays exactly as it was last year. I can see it suffering.
    Last year was terribly predictable.

Concert Stars
    The thing about idol viewership is that the first week is totally different from the rest of the weeks. Some people only watch the auditions to see the more humorous auditions, and others tune in later when the voting stage starts. That's why they made the changes to hollywood week, so the vote nights could start earlier.
    The problem AI has with predictability is that if there is one guy in the show who everyone knows should win, the contest becomes less meaningful, but the talent is a lot better.
    In years where the "show" is better, more entertaining, the talent is not so good in the final product.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Lol, I did not even watch last night.

Concert Stars
    I did not watch last night and probably won't till the last couple of weeks. I didn't vote last year and probably won't vote again unless I really think someone is really good and deserves to be voted through. But for the most part I don't watch or vote.

Concert Stars
    A little over 26 million sounds good to me. I watched and it looks like they have some good talent!

•