Danny Gokey’s Next Single/Album on Hold?

Danny Gokey’s Next Single/Album on Hold?

A Danny Gokey fan who traveled to the US from China interviewed Danny Gokey before the BOO Cruise in Portland, Oct. 29. In this short clip, Danny talks about his future plans, and it appears that he next album is on hold.

“Things have been put on a standstill,” says Danny, “…the doors in country musichave always been a difficult…battle. We’ve had to kind of pull back and kind of re-figure and re-think everything.”

Danny says there will be a next single but “it’s all up in the air right now.” But he assures fans, “Of course there will be a new single.”

“We’ll keep everyone posted,” says Danny.

I’m not sure what’s going on with Danny. He released his last album on RCA Nashville, but he’s no longer listed on the website’s artist roster.

More will be revealed, I’m sure.
    Danny Gokey's Next Single/Album on Hold? | American Idol, Danny Gokey | mjsbigblog

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    This isn't surprising. He didn't really have much success out of the gate, and the two singles didn't really go anywhere. I don't think Danny ever connected with an audience, and lack of airplay made the damage even worse. If you can't connect with an audience, there's not much to go on. A commenter on MJ's blog mentioned the video for his last single was cancelled, and he has been hinting something sour has been going on behind the scenes for awhile. It was also mentioned Danny is no longer listed on the Sony Nashville/RCA website.

Honestly, I think there's something to be said for the idea that country radio & its fans are not willing to accept anyone and everyone into country music; I think that's a common misconception, and it's proven by things like this. Danny never claimed to be a country artist until he finished Idol, and he'd never even heard of the Grand Ole Opry before. I think Danny knew he would never make it in pop music, and Christian music has little to no market for artists looking to make it big; I think he chose to jump into country music because he felt it was the only genre that would accept him as an artist. Obviously most country fans didn't seem to believe Danny wanted to become a country artist for the right reasons, and his lack of success proves it.

I don't feel Danny had negative intentions when he labeled himself a country artist, but I thought it was a terrible idea. Country fans are so used to hearing about has-been pop stars trying to "make it" in country music, the last thing we needed was another artist claiming to be someone he had never claimed to be prior to Idol. Country music fans are fiercely loyal to those who are loyal to the genre; if you are able to convince fans you love the genre and have your heart in the right place, you've got a great chance at success. But if you come into the genre pretending to be a country artist, you can prepare to say goodbye pretty quickly.

Danny seems like a good guy, but something about his personality has always seemed kind of phony to me. It could be he's just shy, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way, judging by the various comments I've read. I think he's pretty busy with his foundation, and it sounds like he's been able to do some great things through that. I know he has also become good friends with the Rascal Flatts guys, and Gary will be performing on his charity cruise in 2012, too. I don't know how much connections will help him, but he seems to be doing fine.

I feel bad for him because being dropped is difficult for any artist, but I'm also relieved that he'll become a Christian artist, because that's where he seems to belong, and it'll also open the door for another country artist who actually wants to be in country music to have a chance at success. Good luck to him though.

Concert Stars
    Of course Country music has been difficult for him. He used it as a fall back position & expected everyone to fall all over themselves to accommodate him. I, for one, never bought it & I don't think many others did either.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    You don't sell your ass is going to be out the door.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I think Danny's biggest problem is his personality. He is quite polarizing, and has been since the moment he appeared on Idol.
    Many Idol fans still have issues with what they feel is Danny using his late wife to gain more attention on Idol and since the show. I personally don't feel this way, but I've seen many comments from people that do. Also he seems to think he needs to preach at people. It is possible to make your faith known without being preachy...Carrie, Brad and many other country artists are great at not being preachy, while still spreading the good news.

Danny seemed to think he was going to storm in to country music, and instantly be a big hit. However, it's hard to be taken seriously in country music if you didn't really show an interest in country music before the end of Idol. He seems to have a sense of entitlement. He also rubbed many people the wrong way when he made less than nice comments about Scotty before even really knowing who Scotty was.

I enjoyed Danny' first album, but I feel like he is better suited for a contemporary Christian label where he can preach all he wants. I wish him the best in the future, and I hope he has more realistic expectations for his career now.

Concert Stars
    People still care about him?

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Who cares. The guy is as irrelevant as the gameboy.

Concert Stars
    I'm trolling you guys. I fully admit it.

•