Ultimate Carrie Fan

American Idol in Season 11: Nigel Lythgoe Talks

TVLINE | When we last spoke in May, you had mentioned the possibility of making some changes to Idol‘s voting rules – either by limiting the number of votes per device, or borrowing the system you use on So You Think You Can Dance, where the Bottom 2 vote-getters perform for the judges on results night, and the judges make the final call about who goes home. Have the Idol powers that be explored these ideas any further?
    We have spoken about it. We continue to speak about it. It’s very difficult to go from saying we had 120 million votes [in Season 10] then turning around next year and saying, “We got 15,000 votes this week!” A number of people in the [last] meeting we had thought that would not be good for the program, and it could be taken the wrong way. I mean, it’s never going to be 15,000, really; we’d probably be down to 30 million, but people would use that to say the program is losing viewers. That said, there still could be a ceiling put on certain votes, be it text [votes], maybe. I think we currently limit online voting to 50 votes, so maybe we could do the same for texting. We’re still discussing. I still like the judges being able to sort of look at the Bottom 2, and choose one of them, or assist in America’s vote. Don’t forget: America doesn’t vote people off the program, it votes to keep people on the program. And in that, rather like [So You Think You Can] Dance, the Bottom 2 could be looked at and the decision could be made by the judges.

American Idol Season 11: Nigel Lythgoe on Voting Changes, Banned Songs - TVLine

Concert Stars
    I like the system they have on So You Think You Can Dance. I'd totally be open to them doing something like that on Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I still think it's stupid to not limit the votes. I don't know anyone that gives a crap how many votes were cast. Anyone with half a brain can just look at the ratings for the week if they really want to know how many viewers tuned in.
    I think many casual viewers don't really check ratings though. Vote total is an easy way to "announce ratings" to the world.

However, I think there's more to it than just "boasting about votes". Idol is sponsored byt AT&T right? Perhaps limiting votes will affect the sponsorship deal? Idk, I'm just guessing...

Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    I like the system they have on So You Think You Can Dance. I'd totally be open to them doing something like that on Idol.
    There's good and bad to their "judges choosing from bottom 2" system though. It's good to prevent shockers, but at the same time it will eliminate any drama that Idol seem to love. I mean.... if Casey and Haley stands in B2 during Top 12, there is no way the judges would've sent Casey home. But look how far Haley managed to go based purely on audience votes alone. Haley fans would then be thinking... how is it fair that judges decide to send her home instead of Casey?
    I guess whatever voting system they have, there will always be complaints.

I do think though that even if the voting was done differently in S10, it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the whole season. Scotty's consistent sales with hardly any promo pretty much shows that he is indeed a very popular winner.

Concert Stars
    I agree, it would be tough because the show receives so many votes and really does empower the fans like no other show does. To limit the votes would be disappointing to a lot of the people who sit there and vote hours on end. It would be fair on the contestants as it would show who actually has the most, devoted fans and not so much the demographic of each fan base. It's tough. I do think a solution could be to let the judges have a say. I think they should do a bottom 3 like always, then make it into a bottom 2. Then maybe have the judges score on a scale of 100 for each contestant in the bottom 2, average that out with America's votes and then decide. Sort of like the scoring on "The Voice". That way the judges have 50% and America has 50%... A situation like Pia's last season would have NEVER happened if this were the case, so it could work in the show's favor saving some of the better contestants all the while keeping America's integrity. This would also give Idol more power in pushing their favorites further.

The negative side to this could be the judges saving the same person multiple times. For example, Stefano was a frequent Bottom 2/3 contestant, but always made it by. Now even if America's votes saved him, combined with the judges votes, then it would look bad on the judges. It was known for weeks before his elimination that he should have been sent home, but it was America's fault only. If the judges contributed to him staying, then it looks bad on them. You get what I'm saying? In other words, this system would work wonders for people like Pia who was sent home way too early, but this system could also help out the Stefanos and Jacobs which America, as a whole, probably wouldn't be happy about.

Then there is the issue that this doesn't affect the top weekly vote-getters such as Scotty, Lauren, James, etc... While this system would work to save the talent that is less appreciated by America - as shown in the votes, you'd still have the top vote-getters each week and this change in voting wouldn't affect them at all. There would still be the issue of having clear favorites with the advantage of having a strong demographic fan base. Scotty, regardless of the voting system, would have won as long as votes weren't limited. So changing the system this way only helps out the underdogs and least-favorites while nothing is done to change the real problem.

Then again, if someone has the fans to vote for them and those fans happen to be as dedicated as Scotty's, then who's to say they shouldn't vote as much as they want? The real point of the show is to launch a superstar and someone who is able to draw the masses like Scotty should win to show that the show is still legitimate in terms of finding and launching a true superstar talent. The fans that vote as much as possible, and not just once are the ones who propel a career like Carrie's, Kelly's, and probably Scotty's... so in reality, although the voting system may not be fair on Idol to all the contestants, I really don't think it would change the outcome too dramatically because in the end, the one with the most fans will win regardless of how many votes each fan can cast.

In the end, I think Idol could make themselves more legitimate by letting the judges have a weekly say on the bottom 2, but really that wouldn't change who wins, it would just alter who goes home each week.

•