Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I like both Lauren and Scotty as people and think they are both talented. They are both just young. What I don't like is the way Idol works and pimps certain contestants giving others little chance to win. Idol just needs to change the voting system, or give the judges a say in the bottom 3. I don't see Scotty having Carrie/Kelly success because I don't have a clue what kind of artist he is aside from country. I mean the direction of country he will make to be that successful. IMO he would have to sing Taylor Swift style country and like Kizmet said I see him more of old school country. It should be interesting though. Lauren could totally Taylor Swift her way to the top IMO until her voice matures. And she'll actually have the vocal ability to grow. I still say Pia will have massive pop success IF she has the right songs. Her vocal ability amazes me though.
    I agree about Scotty and Lauren defining themselves as artist. Neither of their body of work on Idol distinguishs them from other artists on country radio. Sure they will have some initial success with their singles in sales and on radio. But their ultimate success will hinge largely on their first album. Again the albums will have some success due to Idol. But as we have seen, that does not mean nearly as much as it use to. They need to have a major hit right out of the box, like Carrie did, or they won't get any advantage from AI and won't grow their fanbase beyond the AI fanbase, which largely has a very short attention span before moving on to the next new thing. I am sure that both can have success in country music as they grow and develop. But I don't see either as a megastar. Based on what I saw on Idol, I see both staying focused on country music and not actively pursuing pop success.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    A female will never win again no matter how great of a singer she is as long as WGWG is around.

^^And this is why I think your idea of creating AI: WGWG edition is a great one, JB. lol

Carrie Guru
    Well to be honest, I never realized off of idol, how big a star Carrie would become. And although I am not an Adam Lambert fan, I really thought he was going to become a superstar. So with that track record, I will hold my judgment on these two until a future date. lol.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Well to be honest, I never realized off of idol, how big a star Carrie would become. And although I am not an Adam Lambert fan, I really thought he was going to become a superstar. So with that track record, I will hold my judgment on these two until a future date. lol.
    I've only felt superstar status with Carrie and Kelly and I think Pia can do really good. I've thrown a few votes to a couple of people over the years but I've really only take the time to vote, well as hard as I vote for those three.
    In my opinion, Carrie was truly fortunate --she came out of Idol show when CD was still popular, although it was in declined -- because within 3 months, Carrie sold more than 2 million copies. Consequently, people including people in show business gave a second look of Carrie Underwood.

I think the only superstar from this season will be Pia. IF she has the right songs for her album, that is. And I really hope she does, because I'd love to see her get all the success she deserves.

Like has been mentioned, Scotty and Lauren will have initial success due to their AI fanbase, but if their first records don't help define who they are as artists, I think it will be tough for potential new fans to become attached to them. They need to distinguish themselves from all the other artists who are already on country radio, or else they will end up just fading into the crowd.

the contestants who have superstardom appeal are:

Pia and Haley and James because the music they will pursue is very interesting. don't get me wrong, country is amazing but, Scotty and Lauren's record will be somewhat predictable. unless they do something really awesome. imo, with the right material, they will go far. but for now, I think I'll really buy the albums of Pia, Haley and James

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    I saw Carrie as a multi media princess very early on in her Idol run. In fact I can well remember offering to buy a part of her future, but alas, no one was selling...

I've only felt superstar status with Carrie and Kelly and I think Pia can do really good. I've thrown a few votes to a couple of people over the years but I've really only take the time to vote, well as hard as I vote for those three.
    There are really only 2 people I have ever been excited for from the Idol ranks. Obviously Carrie is first & foremost, but the second is named Haley. I think she can have a real shot at doing big things.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It is going to be tough for anyone coming off the show now to be a "superstar".

If someone does off of this year it will be either James, Lauren or Scotty, those three are not the best singers coming off the show but all three of them are very likeable which will be Haley's issue when it comes to selling, personally I think that she was the 2nd best singer on the show behind Pia, but Haley was not liked at all but A LOT of people and unless she has a ton of fans who just didn't out vote the fans of Lauren and Scotty the best I can see Haley doing is a Pickler type of career, which isn't bad but is not close to being a "superstar".

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12