Ultimate Carrie Fan

'American Idol' behind the scenes: 'Idol' coaches talk the Top 4

How did James, Haley, Scotty, and Lauren choose their songs this week? What was it like working with Lady Gaga? Did the unfamiliar songbook of Leiber and Stoller stymie the contestants? In our ongoing series, American Idol vocal coach and arranger Debra Byrd and associate music director and arranger Michael Orland answered these questions and more while discussing last night’s Top 4 performance show with EW. For a decade, Byrd and Orland have been on the front lines with the contestants, from Hollywood Week to the grand finale in May. The two work with the contestants on their respective songs, helping them shine on the Idol stage and in front of a national TV audience. Check out their insights below:

'American Idol' behind the scenes: 'Idol' coaches talk the Top 4 -- EXCLUSIVE | PopWatch | EW.com

Concert Stars
    Those articles are always really interesting. Thanks Naco.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    I love reading what goes on before the performances! I am glad these kids have such capable people to help them out! It HAS to be terribly overwhelming to be on this show!

Thanks, Naco!

Interesting comment from Debra about Haley:

DEBRA BYRD: She wanted the choir, because it’s a big song and she thought three back up singers would not give her the feel that she would like — the subject matter is weighty, she knew that she needed extra voices. I have to laugh [about Randy Jackson and Jennifer Lopez's criticisms]. I sing a song about what inspires [me], and you say that song isn’t right for [me]. That’s just a bit odd. But hey, that’s the whole thing about this TV show — it’s all subjective. The interpretation I take from that is the judges see her in a specific light and they didn’t see her in that light. That’s what I got out of it.

It’s tough, especially when there are four [contestants], and you sing your face off, and you’re the one that’s told, “Ehh, everybody was great except you.” Her skin is getting tougher, and I have to say we have a lot of talks about this. It’s a learning process for her as it would be for anyone who’s going through that kind of thing. It’s not like she folds and crumbles. It becomes a fighter’s mentality and I applaud for her it. Because you either do that or you die. Those are your choices. And she has no plans of dying on the vine.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Interesting comment from Debra about Haley:
    this will certainly help Haley when she's in the "real" world of the entertainment business.
    becca T

•