Ultimate Carrie Fan

Sorry, ladies. 'Idol's' just not that into you

When "American Idol" fans bounced Pia Toscano from the competition on April 7, the stunned responses of the judges and the subsequent blogospheric supernova (as well as producer Nigel Lythgoe's reaction-goosing tweets) suggested that it was the most shocking development on the show in quite some time. But it was all too predictable, if only you were to notice which side of the gender line Toscano happens to call home.

Sorry, ladies. 'Idol's' just not that into you - Entertainment - Reality TV - TODAY.com

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This article is the truth.

A female will not win AI again no matter how good they are and this type of backlash has been coming for a long time, it took someone who was clearly the best singer on the show to get sent packing for people to finally come out about that the girls on the show are screwed.

Season 1 through Season 6 the females didn't have to contend with the instrutment playing and the text votes were not close to being as heavy as it is now with a large majority of those votes going to the "young, cute guy" ( I hope that young cute guy isn't racist) playing the guitar.

In the last three years only 4 girls made the Top 5, only 2 made the Top 3 and only 1 got to the finale. Sorry but that is not just a coincidence.

All the connect this and connect that or having "IT" doesn't matter anymore when there is thousands upon thousands of teenage girls who vote, vote and vote some more for the young, cute guy playing the guitar.

Side note: I love how even this article states Taylor Swift is a pop artist.

Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Side note: I love how even this article states Taylor Swift is a pop artist.
    me too, lol...

Concert Stars
    Maybe because the women just aren't that great and don't appeal to a large group that votes - I certainly haven't been moved to vote for anyone

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    Maybe because the women just aren't that great and don't appeal to a large group that votes - I certainly haven't been moved to vote for anyone
    Or in actually there has not been a female winner since the rule change of instruments being used, all three winners over the last three years are young guys who play the guitar which attracts the teenage female text votes far more than any female singer is going to get no matter how go she is.

Fantasia and Jordin should count their lucky stars they were on the show when they were because they would not win if they were on the this year or on the past three years.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    I disagree. Over the years, Idol has given us a diverse group of talent, with different personalities and strengths.
    Kelly: Pop princess with the big voice and bubbly personality.
    Fantasia: Single mom with a compelling backstory and unique voice, very emotional performer.
    Carrie: Shy, quiet country singer who really hadn't had much life experience outside of her hometown. She grew every week, and had one of the biggest breakout moments ever with "Alone."
    Jordin: Bubbly young teenager with the big voice and affection for modern pop songs. She brought a youthful energy that wasn't felt as much by previous female contestants.
    Even contestants who didn't win brought something unique; Crystal, Brooke, Melinda Dolittle, Jenifer Hudson, Carly Smithson, Alison Ireheta.
    All these ladies brought something unique to the show, whether it was the voice, genre choice, personality, performance style, growth on the show, and everything in between.

Can the same be said of male contestants? Ruben was the teddy bear with the velvet voice, Taylor was the stage performer, but other than that I'd argue all of these guys blend in.
    David Cook, Kris, and Lee all fit the same mold of "nice guys with guitars, with nice voices." Nothing really stands out among the male winners of the past few seasons, and the lack of success seems to prove that.

Allthough there has been diversity among the men and women in past seasons of Idol, the fact that these unique guys aren't winning or making it to the finals says to me that Idol viewers have a choice between plenty of intresting male AND female contestants, but history shows they want to weed them out, no matter the gender.

Concert Stars
    Most of the Idols have had lack of major success except for Kelly, Carrie and Jennifer , all women, the others are in music - look at Constantine he was touring with a Broadway musical when he auditioned and now he's doing the same thing again, except he was nominated for a Tony which is really great for him. It might be the economic times we're in - most top ten contestants are in some musical genre like Chris Sligh - he's doing pretty well in Christian music, so it has it's perks but, let's face it , stars don't come along that often on or off Idol -and it's more difficult for people to get started, everything costs so much to tour now - I know artists who were sleeping in their vans when they started touring 40 years ago then they graduated to hotels and now they are back to staying with friends or sleeping in vans again. This economy has thrown art and music for a loop.

•