Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Carrie Fan

Nigel Lythgoe: "Pia Toscano Was Never A Frontrunner"

Addressing feedback from fans that the elimination process should be changed so that these sorts of results don't happen anymore, Nigel pooh-poohed the possibility of limiting the number of times each fan can vote, but did say: "Maybe if we change the rules next season, maybe do the same thing we do on 'So You Think You Can Dance'....so that America votes for the bottom three, and then the judges decide who goes home....I think that will be thought about."

Nigel Lythgoe: "Pia Toscano Was Never A Frontrunner" - Reality Rocks

Obsessed Carrie Fan AdamLikesCarrie's Avatar
    Nigel better talk less, sometimes the more he talk, the more fake he is...

Obsessed Carrie Fan AdamLikesCarrie's Avatar
    he definitely. say Pia was never a front runner, so ppl can shut their mouth
    do you think Nigel will say: "Pia is always the frontrunner", then ppl will keep on blaming the voting system...
    plus, what the heck he talk about this right now, to add more sadness to Pia? stupid move...
    PIA, HOPE YOU GET CONTRACT WITH Warner Music/Elektra....

Why can't he be classy about this? Or if he doesn't know how to be classy, lol, he should just shut up.

I must be the only who don't really see how he's rude or classless here.... he's just revealing info about how the votes went down, unless you guys are implying he lied?

As for Casey, I won't expect him to say it any other way. He has obviously agreed to that save before it happened.

My feeling is I think they wasted there save on Casey and i do remember when our Carrie was on AI she really didn't have stage presence and she sang with her eyes closed but the people voted for her on her VOICE and yes more she performed the better she was on stage. Pia had a awesome voice. she would of been a front runner, james he screams and I cannot listen to him. I am one of those who will not watch AI anymore Pia was who I was looking forward to seeing just like it was with Carrie. this is my opinion!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I am going to put Nigel's comments through the truth meter.

What Nigel is really saying is that " Sorry there is NO WAY in hell that I am going to limit the number of votes because we make way to much $$$$ off of the text voting by teenage female voters."

I don't really like the idea of the judges deciding who goes home but if that is the change they would make it can only be taken so far, say maybe to the Top 6 and that could also get rid of the save since not many people care for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    I don't really like the idea of the judges deciding who goes home but if that is the change they would make it can only be taken so far, say maybe to the Top 6 and that could also get rid of the save since not many people care for it anyway.
    I don't like having the judges decide who to save either. But yeah, you're right, limit their power up to maybe Top 5/6 or so. From there onwards, let the votes decide. If it's a shocker, so be it.

Concert Stars
    I thought he made a lot of sense. He was trying to look at it objectively IMO.

Concert Stars
    I wouldn't mind the change in the voting like SYTYCD. The only difference is that with dancing, there is a great deal of abilitiy that the judges are aware of that the audeince does not see so it helps them to make decissions on who to keep when the audience obviously does not see the dancers talent.
    With singing, it is a little different. AI is supposed to be about a singer showing wht they can do and the audience either responding or not.
    Remember with pia, she was not voted off! She was ignored. Thats a huge difference. AI can not make people pick up the phone.
    Anyway, so I could se them changing up the voting system alittle. But I agree with JB, it will only stay a persons execution for a certain amount of time.
    With public voting, people vote for what they like. You may disagree with what others like but you can't change it.
    Remember, this does not mean people did not like Pia! It means they voted for someone else.
    I have a girl at work who always votes for the ones she feels sorry for or thinks "needs the votes". that kind of thinking is so completely bizarre to me, but she is intitled to vote the way seh wants. I always ask her "who do you wnat to win" She has no idea, she just likes to vote for the ones that seem to need it.
    That is how someone like Pia goes home.
    Pia needed to make a more personal impact in peoples minds and hearts.
    And she didn't manage to do that in time.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    IMHO, I think AI sways people's opinions from the beginning of the show---in the auditions and Hollywood week. I think that is when opinions are formed. They seem to pimp some people and ignore others. I think that is what happened with Pia. She wasn't fussed over like others were. It's too bad---she has a terrific voice! I would like to have see her go on, and come out of her shell more. I think she would have opened up like a blossoming flower.

Two people I want to see go are Scotty and Paul. Their performances drive me nuts!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I think the point he is ignoring is that its mostly teens voting but thats not all that is watching....wonder if Tom Hanks takes the time to vote? I'm not saying I know the answer but there needs to be a change in the way its decided on here just like the voting on awards shows needs to be changed. There is a whole world out there who doesn't tweet.

I think what Idol should do is hire one judge that is somewhat trained (maybe Classically?)... because Nigel Lythgoe is a freakin' classical ballet dancer and the judge of SYTYCD, and he gives constructive criticism because he knows the mechanics of dancing, and because of that, he influences people to vote for the contestant who has the potential. <--- I've been noticing lately that the AI judges are just saying "you need to let loose, you're too safe". I mean give some advice so that the contestants would actually improve and not get voted off immediately =)) How can the contestants take the risk if they don't tell them what to do.

next year, (If there's a next year) I think what Idol should do is hire a professional in music (with a sharp ear) or a highly respected executive producer to judge. I'm not saying that Jlo and Steven are worse, but they should be really critical if they want a star.

Quote Originally Posted by diva101 View Post
    next year, (If there's a next year) I think what Idol should do is hire a professional in music (with a sharp ear) or a highly respected executive producer to judge. I'm not saying that Jlo and Steven are worse, but they should be really critical if they want a star.
    Judging on tv is mainly for the benefit of the audience, imo. Iovine and his team are supposed to help the contestants every week.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I wouldn't mind the change in the voting like SYTYCD. The only difference is that with dancing, there is a great deal of abilitiy that the judges are aware of that the audeince does not see so it helps them to make decissions on who to keep when the audience obviously does not see the dancers talent.
    With singing, it is a little different. AI is supposed to be about a singer showing wht they can do and the audience either responding or not.
    Good point about that. Singing is definitely more about how you feel as a listener/audience. No matter how technically perfect or how much the judges rave about someone's singing, if you don't feel it, you just won't be able to convince yourself to like it.

From all the fan outrage, I think Pia was a frontrunner. However, it seems that everyone thought she was safe because she was so good, so people weren't voting for her as much as they should have been. Either that, or Pia's main fanbase is not the type who has hours to spend voting non-stop.

I think she'll have a great career anyway. Apparently she's already been spotted at a record label talking to execs?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently she already HAS a record deal!

http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmu...rd-deal-201194

Huge Carrie Follower carriefan2000's Avatar
    i agree wtih him, and hope people stop comparing Pia as this years almost Carrie. I don't think she connected as much with the audience, has as much charisma, or is as pretty as Carrie or as unique. She is more like kat mcphee from season 5 no? Pretty, but bland. Carrie, to me, even though she was robotic in movement, was still cute and had personality in her eyes and voice, and when she talked was funny, engaging, and humble. Pia is just eh- more like Mcphee definitely and she didnt really make it past one album. but we will see...

Concert Stars
    heres my thing, pia had an amazing voice, one of the best weve seen on the show in awhile, she had the look and the marketability, but there was nothing that separated her peronality wise to me and alot of people assumed she was going to be in the finals so they didnt vote, of course i think there are quite a few left on the show that just dont deserve to be up there

ive said it ever since i started watching sytycd that the voting process should be like that for AI, america is still able to control who stays out of the bottom 3 and then once it gets to the top 4 or so THEN i think it should be up to just americas vote .. but thats just me

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefan2000 View Post
    i agree wtih him, and hope people stop comparing Pia as this years almost Carrie. I don't think she connected as much with the audience, has as much charisma, or is as pretty as Carrie or as unique. She is more like kat mcphee from season 5 no? Pretty, but bland. Carrie, to me, even though she was robotic in movement, was still cute and had personality in her eyes and voice, and when she talked was funny, engaging, and humble. Pia is just eh- more like Mcphee definitely and she didnt really make it past one album. but we will see...
    agree 10000%

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathie Wynkoop View Post
    IMHO, I think AI sways people's opinions from the beginning of the show---in the auditions and Hollywood week. I think that is when opinions are formed. They seem to pimp some people and ignore others. I think that is what happened with Pia. She wasn't fussed over like others were. It's too bad---she has a terrific voice! I would like to have see her go on, and come out of her shell more. I think she would have opened up like a blossoming flower.

Two people I want to see go are Scotty and Paul. Their performances drive me nuts!
    I completely agree.
    The focus that she show gives to certain people can and does translate into longterm commitments to some of the contestants.
    And when you have the attention that was given to Lauren/James/Scotty/Casey then you have people voting based on a commitment to that person. It becomes personal. It does not matter that Pia or Jacob are the best singer, it matters that regardless of how Lauren or Scotty sing they have committed fans who will vote regardless.
    I think Pia was getting the casual vote. I think that is what happened to Casey as well.
    I think Jacob/Haley/Stephano/(maybe)Casey will all fall victim to this.
    Pia had most people convinced that she was the best techinical singer.
    But she had the least number of committed people.
    Even if you consider the teenybopper voting, you still have 8 contetants who got more votes than she did.
    Connect/Connect/Connect!
    Carries backstory helped her ALOT. Pia had no story at all. We had no idea who this person was.
    Except that you got the feeling that she came from priviledge and on this show that is practically a death sentance.
    If Carrie had been sold as a College senior looking to graduate with honors who just happened to be georous and talented, things may have been very different.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefan2000 View Post
    And I would even go one futher, McFee had the ability to paint and color the phrases of her singing so wether there was any "personality to it or not it still felt like a complete piece.
    The main critisim that I heard about Pia was that "something was missing".
    Thats a big problem! Very big.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast