Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree2739Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - New Album Era

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Hey the guy who posted this video like my comment lol. Good job man, it's perfect
    Bahaha, thanks man XD

Junior Carrie Follower
    I found this a few days ago and thought this is everything Carrie Underwood should have done instead of the messed up ST era. It fits the production to a tee! Almost like the production was meant for Carrie and that song if she went more pop rock.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I found this a few days ago and thought this is everything Carrie Underwood should have done instead of the messed up ST era. It fits the production to a tee! Almost like the production was meant for Carrie and that song if she went more pop rock.
    The messed up ST era, so messed up she gets her first EOTY nomination at the CMAs!

Junior Carrie Follower
    I'm not trying to start an argument here,but to me,Carrie will always be country pop with a few different elements mixed in there.Carrie is a country singer first & going pop will only make the haters hate her more for being in a genre they felt she had no business being in & people saying "I knew Carrie Underwood was never country,she just wanted to be like Taylor Swift." Pop rock just isn't a style that I see Carrie adopting unless she feels that is the direction she wants to go in for the album,but otherwise I just can't see that happening even if we wanted her to.To switch over to pop rock,it has to be a natural progression & organic enough that it doesn't feel forced & unnatural.The ST era may have been messed up,but it garnered her her first EOTY nomination & Female vocalist of the year nomination.IMO,you can't force Carrie to do pop rock unless it's something she wants to try personally.To me,pop rock leaves no room for storytelling in a song,which is one of Carrie's biggest strengths & one of the many qualities about her music that has endeared me to her as a singer & a person.She shouldn't have to change her style of music just so she can follow trends in music,because Carrie has never followed trends,because she doesn't need to change who she is as a singer & a person because then she'll just be like everyone else & that's what sets Carrie apart is that she's not like everyone else that has zero talent,because she has loads of talent while the pop music market is the same ole,same ole.Who needs that?Just let Carrie figure out the musical direction for the next album & she can create her masterpiece without us worrying about what it should & shouldn't sound like.
    lolita55 likes this.

One of the things that quickly becomes evident on the Board is that whatever we speculate about new work, or however we evaluate recent work, is never likely to get unanimous agreement. That's understandable, because however much we support Carrie's choices, we all have different preferences and priorities.

Before anyone writes off the Storyteller era as a mess, though, I'd like to point out that it has earnt Carrie her strongest acclaim yet internationally. "Smoke Break" was nominated for International Song of the Year, and the album for International Album of the Year at the British CMAs in 2016 (although both lost to Stapleton, this double nomination was her strongest showing here to date).
    Also, she has already won the 2017 International Artist Achievement Award at the main CMA (This award is mainly voted by the CMA's international membership, not the US domestic membership, although there is still input from a panel representing the US industry, to vet the nominations).

For my part, "Storyteller" was Carrie's most forward looking album yet. She used it to strengthen areas that were relatively fresh departures for her, and It gained her generally higher critical reviews. I'd hope she'd build on that for the next album - rather than the Play On era, which I'm afraid I don't regard as her strongest work.
    ethelu, lolita55, rainbow1 and 6 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    The messed up ST era, so messed up she gets her first EOTY nomination at the CMAs!
    I didn't mean messed up in that way! I just meant how everything was planned out. We can't undo what already been done. I'm all about seeing the cup half full, but overall this didn't seem like her best era. Production was better imo, but it could have been a different sound. But, it could possibly have been even bigger than getting a nomination or awards at the CMA's or any British awards. I do respect whatever direction Carrie chooses to go in, though. She's allowed to do anything at this point after all her accomplishments. I'd always prefer her country side, but I just hope whatever it is, it's huge.
    Carrieslegs84 and simonplay like this.

Concert Stars
    I really enjoyed the ST era as a concept project. I thought it was well thought out (in the beginning) and introduced something new and different for Carrie.

I loved the whole idea of emerging out of the dessert with a guitar case and a story to tell. For me, it would have worked better with Renegade Runaway as an opener and stick in Smoke Break later. But over all I loved the introduction to the era. The only thing that really failed for me were the videos. Videos are fast becoming one of those things that are not a guarantee but more about showing the strength of the artist and their intentions for their project. And though I felt SM did just that, the others fell quite short of showing anything other than an after thought for music that was very dynamic and could have done a great deal for the whole project.

I think of Taylor, Kanye, Adele, Katy, Rhiannan. These are all very visionary artists and I believe Carrie is as well. Much more so than most in the country industry. And these artists rely heavily on the opportunity to have people view them and their material again and again and again..... (especially when it is interesting and innovative). There is just no excuse at this time when labels and artists are deciding to either cut back or go all out to decide that a Carrie Underwood video to a major single release should not be anything short of epic!

Aside from that one "major" loss, I think most of what was done during this era was quite strong. and I agree with faraway it was much more widely accepted by the stuffy elite of the country establishment (if that is what we want......)

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I really enjoyed the ST era as a concept project. I thought it was well thought out (in the beginning) and introduced something new and different for Carrie.

I loved the whole idea of emerging out of the dessert with a guitar case and a story to tell. For me, it would have worked better with Renegade Runaway as an opener and stick in Smoke Break later. But over all I loved the introduction to the era. The only thing that really failed for me were the videos. Videos are fast becoming one of those things that are not a guarantee but more about showing the strength of the artist and their intentions for their project. And though I felt SM did just that, the others fell quite short of showing anything other than an after thought for music that was very dynamic and could have done a great deal for the whole project.

I think of Taylor, Kanye, Adele, Katy, Rhiannan. These are all very visionary artists and I believe Carrie is as well. Much more so than most in the country industry. And these artists rely heavily on the opportunity to have people view them and their material again and again and again..... (especially when it is interesting and innovative). There is just no excuse at this time when labels and artists are deciding to either cut back or go all out to decide that a Carrie Underwood video to a major single release should not be anything short of epic!

Aside from that one "major" loss, I think most of what was done during this era was quite strong. and I agree with faraway it was much more widely accepted by the stuffy elite of the country establishment (if that is what we want......)
    Oh Paddy, I think Carrie did go ALL IN -- she went all in on her fabulous tour. Maybe a compromise had to be made and she decided to GO ALL IN on the tour. Guess I'm glad that we had the tour and the visuals from that. I'll remember that long after I'll remember any videos.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I didn't mean messed up in that way! I just meant how everything was planned out. We can't undo what already been done. I'm all about seeing the cup half full, but overall this didn't seem like her best era. Production was better imo, but it could have been a different sound. But, it could possibly have been even bigger than getting a nomination or awards at the CMA's or any British awards. I do respect whatever direction Carrie chooses to go in, though. She's allowed to do anything at this point after all her accomplishments. I'd always prefer her country side, but I just hope whatever it is, it's huge.
    I guess I just don't understand what messed up means then. She got her first EOTY nomination at the CMAs ever, and her first award from them in like 8 years. Her tour was massive, her songs were hits, the album was among the best selling country releases at the time. What more are you looking for? If it's more sales, chances are you're going to be waiting for that, since they suck everywhere. I don't think the singles were bad by any means, the only thing I would have done is add in CCA. I guess I just don't see the mess.
    maddkat and teesharky like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I guess I just don't understand what messed up means then. She got her first EOTY nomination at the CMAs ever, and her first award from them in like 8 years. Her tour was massive, her songs were hits, the album was among the best selling country releases at the time. What more are you looking for? If it's more sales, chances are you're going to be waiting for that, since they suck everywhere. I don't think the singles were bad by any means, the only thing I would have done is add in CCA. I guess I just don't see the mess.
    For me, the videos were very disappointing.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    the only thing that was messed up in the ST era was the videos.They were lame when they should have been epic story videos.imo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    the only thing that was messed up in the ST era was the videos.They were lame when they should have been epic story videos.imo
    Me too. Church bells could have been so incredibly epic, and they totally dropped the ball. They should have filmed that video in late 2015, so that when it was released there would have been a video for it already, and not just a concert one.
    ethelu, txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by lolita55 View Post
    Me too. Church bells could have been so incredibly epic, and they totally dropped the ball. They should have filmed that video in late 2015, so that when it was released there would have been a video for it already, and not just a concert one.
    How could have Carrie filmed the video in late 2015 if she just given birth to Isaiah earlier in the year?I just don't see how she could've done that while taking care of Isaiah & promoting Storyteller?There's no way that it would've worked out for that to happen if Mike was still playing with the Preds.You have to keep in mind that she was a new mom & she was trying to juggle all of that while taking care of Isaiah,so her plate was full already.About the video,I'm guessing it was so low budget because Sony must've known somehow that Carrie was on her way out with the label so they decided that doing a big budget video wasn't worth their time or energy,so they decided to film her video at the concert she was doing so there would be no costume budget,no makeup budget so the cost could be kept low.Yes,they could've sent her out with a bang with an epic video,but somewhere along the way,they must've known that Carrie wasn't going to stay with them,so they scrapped any ideas they might've had for the video because they probably thought that it wasn't worth the time or energy to do a big budget video,so they went the simpler route,which the end result is the video that she released to the public.I too,wished the video for Church Bells had been more epic because the song would've been more epic to illustrate the story told in the songs timeframe.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Yes, the only thing disappointing was the videos. That's where we were robbed a bit, but at least that's the worst it was. Really excited to see what UMG does for this era, though, gonna be great!
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

^It only took 2 days to shoot Smoke Break. She could have handled shooting CB very easily, but decided to film the song live to use it as a promotional video for the tour. She has never used Isaiah as an excuse -- has plenty of help with him so she can do whatever her job requires. I would like to have seen a story video for CB at the time but, now that it doesn't appear we will have a dvd, I love to watch the live video -- brings back wonderful memories of that magnificent show.
    Suellen, liz278, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ The Smoke Break video was very well done. I loved that shoot in the desert. It was the follow up videos that could have had a bigger budget. I think SONY was trying to save money on the videos perhaps.

But otherwise the Storyteller era was great--- just too short. I am still so disappointed that Carrie never gets 5 singles. It is a sin to leave some of those brilliant songs unheard by the world.

That is my big regret: leaving some of her best work as album filler fluff, never to be heard on radio and enjoyed by the world. She needs 5 Freakin' singles!
    txacar, Suellen, liz278 and 4 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    How could have Carrie filmed the video in late 2015 if she just given birth to Isaiah earlier in the year?I just don't see how she could've done that while taking care of Isaiah & promoting Storyteller?There's no way that it would've worked out for that to happen if Mike was still playing with the Preds.You have to keep in mind that she was a new mom & she was trying to juggle all of that while taking care of Isaiah,so her plate was full already.About the video,I'm guessing it was so low budget because Sony must've known somehow that Carrie was on her way out with the label so they decided that doing a big budget video wasn't worth their time or energy,so they decided to film her video at the concert she was doing so there would be no costume budget,no makeup budget so the cost could be kept low.Yes,they could've sent her out with a bang with an epic video,but somewhere along the way,they must've known that Carrie wasn't going to stay with them,so they scrapped any ideas they might've had for the video because they probably thought that it wasn't worth the time or energy to do a big budget video,so they went the simpler route,which the end result is the video that she released to the public.I too,wished the video for Church Bells had been more epic because the song would've been more epic to illustrate the story told in the songs timeframe.
    She could have easily filmed it, smoke break was filmed in July or August of 2015 so she could have filmed it in november or December of 2015 before she started the storyteller tour.

Huge Carrie Follower MSCarriefan's Avatar
    Carrie was interviewed tonight on ENews about life, music, and Calia. They tried to get her to talk music. She only said that she is writing and just trying to be creative. She is focusing on being creative about Calia and music so basically she is still saying what she said months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MSCarriefan View Post
    Carrie was interviewed tonight on ENews about life, music, and Calia. They tried to get her to talk music. She only said that she is writing and just trying to be creative. She is focusing on being creative about Calia and music so basically she is still saying what she said months ago.
    Not a hint anywhere, to be sure. I posted a link to the video on the Calia thread.
    rainbow1, Suellen and ethelu like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MSCarriefan View Post
    This just depressing.Its been 10 months since her touring ended and we still have zero prospects for new music( the SB song doesn't count as it's just a football lead in jingle basically).:-(

•  
    Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast