Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree711Likes

Thread: Album 6 Discussion: Writing Has Begun

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisaJessie View Post
    I hope Carrie has some rockier songs on this album. Whatever she does it will be awesome. She can sing anything.
    Yes, 110% agree; waiting for the rock Goddess to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Yes agree. I feel like they must be chomping at the bit to release something too. Carrie is their big prize acquisition.

Interesting that Sam Hunt recently said he plans to go the Keith Urban route and release several singles first- then the cd later. It worked well for Keith. I think Carrie should do the same. That would ensure a new single this Fall at least and make the fans/label happy. Then she could release a second single and push the album to spring 2018 hopefully.
    Makes sense to release several singles before the album in today's climate. Once people have the album they are not likely to buy the single; however, everybody will buy the first few singles just to have Carrie music until the album is released, then they will buy the album to have it all.

Junior Carrie Follower brenda218's Avatar
    Agree with this, all seem to be releasing 2 songs before album ever released.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Like others Who Are You was IMO great... I love the song.... I don't know how one cant, to be perfectly honest.....I can see how the lyrics speak directly to Carrie on a spiritual level.....

Not to mention the awesome powerful vocals from her.......

Junior Carrie Follower
    I get your point about producers not being limited to one genre and BTW,I did love Quitter.Even though Max Martin produced it, it still sounds like country and Carrie's voice is the same.I looked at the lyrics of Formation and my gosh, "excellent lyrics"? Seriously?Those lyrics aren't even relatable to most of Carrie's listeners and the lifestyle described in the song is so far from who Carrie is as a person and a singer, that it's laughable to even think those are even "good" lyrics.I hated the song when it came out and still hate it to a vengeance to this day because I personally think that Beyonce is SO overrated as a singer and a person.Those lyrics are SO cliche, its not even funny.Carrie can write WAY better lyrics than the crap that is "Formation".I may sound prejudiced, but that song is only relevant to one section of our population and it's not middle class America.Not even close.IMO, Carrie can sing circles around Beyonce and not even need the production that Beyonce does just to pull a performance off.I get that everyone has opinions on Beyonces music, but this has been mine from the beginning.I'm sorry, but Beyonce doesn't even deserve half of the awards that she gets all of the time.It may be an unpopular opinion, but I just CANNOT stand Beyonce thinking that she's better than every other singer out there when there are WAY better singers out there today (i.e. Carrie herself).To some people, it may be universally acclaimed to some people, but not to me.She turns me off because she just acts like she's better than everyone else and she's not.To me, her appeal is lost on me and lost its luster years ago.To the hip hop community, it may be universally acclaimed, but to the rest of the people that don't listen to hip hop music, it just sounds like garbage that should've been thrown away years ago.I just don't see Carrie embracing that type of music in her songs or in her choice of producers.If she wants to, fine.If not,I will love her regardless.Sorry if this post sounds harsh, this has been my opinion and my parents opinion of Beyonce for years and it's not going to change.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I agree, too!!I would be SO down to hear more rockier songs from Carrie on this next album!!I'm also waiting for her inner rock goddess to come out!!She is so versatile, she could sing ANYTHING and we would STILL buy it no matter what!!I know I would!!

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I can't tell whether or not you are being sarcastic about WAY, lol. I just like to pretend the BA album ends with WAW. It's just about perfect that way, IMHO.

I have a love hate relationship with WAY. It sounded single worthy, but outdated. It was one of the few singles I overplayed but felt like this wasn't really Carrie.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    I get your point about producers not being limited to one genre and BTW,I did love Quitter.Even though Max Martin produced it, it still sounds like country and Carrie's voice is the same.I looked at the lyrics of Formation and my gosh, "excellent lyrics"? Seriously?Those lyrics aren't even relatable to most of Carrie's listeners and the lifestyle described in the song is so far from who Carrie is as a person and a singer, that it's laughable to even think those are even "good" lyrics.I hated the song when it came out and still hate it to a vengeance to this day because I personally think that Beyonce is SO overrated as a singer and a person.Those lyrics are SO cliche, its not even funny.Carrie can write WAY better lyrics than the crap that is "Formation".I may sound prejudiced, but that song is only relevant to one section of our population and it's not middle class America.Not even close.IMO, Carrie can sing circles around Beyonce and not even need the production that Beyonce does just to pull a performance off.I get that everyone has opinions on Beyonces music, but this has been mine from the beginning.I'm sorry, but Beyonce doesn't even deserve half of the awards that she gets all of the time.It may be an unpopular opinion, but I just CANNOT stand Beyonce thinking that she's better than every other singer out there when there are WAY better singers out there today (i.e. Carrie herself).To some people, it may be universally acclaimed to some people, but not to me.She turns me off because she just acts like she's better than everyone else and she's not.To me, her appeal is lost on me and lost its luster years ago.To the hip hop community, it may be universally acclaimed, but to the rest of the people that don't listen to hip hop music, it just sounds like garbage that should've been thrown away years ago.I just don't see Carrie embracing that type of music in her songs or in her choice of producers.If she wants to, fine.If not,I will love her regardless.Sorry if this post sounds harsh, this has been my opinion and my parents opinion of Beyonce for years and it's not going to change.

I feel like adding hip-hop to country would be a little bit too much, especially for Carrie Underwood. Unless she decided to make a non-country album, it'd feel very weird. I wouldn't mind a hip-hop feature though, but I'm not into that producer. Beyonce, I used to like her but recently I've grown very tired of her smh. Plus she is so cocky these days it isn't even cute.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I have a love hate relationship with WAY. It sounded single worthy, but outdated. It was one of the few singles I overplayed but felt like this wasn't really Carrie.
    Really? I thought it was 100% Carrie.Much more so then something like CDS or even LINLYA (love that song).
    txacar and DazzledByCarrie like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It's the melody/tone of WAY that make it "not Carrie" to me. Of course the spiritual message is all her, but songs like JTTW, SYA, and SITW are all very Carrie to me. It's like she didn't even sound like Carrie singing WAY. I don't know. It's a weird song for me. I despise the tone she uses in it and the melody so much that I can't even listen to the lyrics.
    Josh, Claire2004 and HuiZ like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    WAY sounds like Carrie to me. It sounds like a contemporary Christian song which, to me, seems like it's where Carrie's heart is. I could easily see her making a full album of songs like WAY and "Something In The Water".
    txacar likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieAddicted's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    It's so great to see how opinions can largely vary. If everyone thought the same, it would be boring.

Who Are You has always been one of my all-time favorite Carrie songs. Ever since I first listened to Blown Away (album). I completely fell in love with it.
    To me, everything is perfect about it: Carrie's vocal performance, the sound/production, the lyrics. Gosh, I LOVE it to death.

The lyrics: I've always seen it as ambiguous, meaning anyone can picture "who" is it, depending on the situation: God, a loved one, a friend, a family member etc. Such an amazing concept. Genius, IMO.
    I've also always pictured the video for it: different people in different situations praising/searching for the "who", while narrates the stories. In the veins of "So Small".

The sound/production and Carrie's vocals: totally my taste. A contemporary, mainstream sound and production that fully allows her to showcase her trademark vocals. It's just SO Carrie.
    Totally destinated to major crossover success. With a proper promotion, it woulda topped all genre-especific charts (country, AC, Adult Pop etc).

Gosh, shoulda been the fifth single.
    txacar and Josh like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieAddicted's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    And in my opinion: if there's a song that clearly isn't Carrie, it's Smoke Break.

Heartbeat too.

Maybe even Dirty Laudry too: that latter half of the chorus ("all those midnights sneaking in..." etc) still sounds like Miranda to me.
    It's too nasal, too weird. You take that part and ask somebody random who is singing it. I doubt anyone would say "Carrie Underwood".

And, IMO: the reason these songs sold and were streamed poorly is clearly because of their different sound. They aren't Carrie classic, the Carrie songs the people love and jam to. People clearly wasn't into it.
    NONE of them has Carrie's classic vocals. None has the classic Carrie sound. Ugh.

Honestly, they shoulda never been singles.
    Josh likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Smoke Break IMO was a great and fun song for her... Just to see Carrie standing there strumming the guitar was refreshing, something we don't see much of from her....

And it is a traditional country song that Carrie needs to incorporate more into her music collection. If there is any group of fans that I would say she has the least of would be that fans that like traditional county songs.
    Josh, DazzledByCarrie and ethelu like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    WAY sounds like Carrie to me. It sounds like a contemporary Christian song which, to me, seems like it's where Carrie's heart is. I could easily see her making a full album of songs like WAY and "Something In The Water".
    I get that it might be seen as spiritual depending on how you look like it. But, it's the feel of the song that just doesn't "feel" Carrie. I guess it does display her vocals, but idk it didn't seem to fit in the album. Not saying it didn't sound good, it's one of those gems she keeps hidden in albums that could have been huge singles.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAddicted View Post
    And in my opinion: if there's a song that clearly isn't Carrie, it's Smoke Break.

Heartbeat too.

Maybe even Dirty Laudry too: that latter half of the chorus ("all those midnights sneaking in..." etc) still sounds like Miranda to me.
    It's too nasal, too weird. You take that part and ask somebody random who is singing it. I doubt anyone would say "Carrie Underwood".

And, IMO: the reason these songs sold and were streamed poorly is clearly because of their different sound. They aren't Carrie classic, the Carrie songs the people love and jam to. People clearly wasn't into it.
    NONE of them has Carrie's classic vocals. None has the classic Carrie sound. Ugh.

WAY probably was destined for mainstream success and wide appeal in the early 2000's and 90's.

I agree though, even though I liked how she made a song that actually fit her genre, it felt forced in someway. HB was horrible at first, but I somehow grew to like it as the second best single from ST. DL definitely seemed like they tried to make it way too country for her. The lyrics does NOT relate to Carrie nor a lot of people, but I did think of a bigger mom from the south who washes clothes with her hands! Or not. It just feels like she's trying to appeal to the country audience and it comes across as inauthentic, at least to me. I love Carrie Underwood, but her singles should never feel fake and forced.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^DL didn't feel forced to me at all.And many , many people can relate to a cheating spouse.Many.As many as related to BHC.
    CDS felt forced.That song is just not Carrie in any way.
    Last edited by maddkat; 04-21-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    txacar, rainbow1, ethelu and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    okay, some of these opinions have me like huh?

Nah, DL don't sound forced at all and WAY showcases Carries vocals at their finest.........
    maddkat, rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAddicted View Post

Heartbeat too.

Disagree.

If she only keeps releasing same old "classic Carrie" power vocals only, it gets stale. Pretty soon, the only ones left will be her hardcore fans, general public will move on to next fresh artist.
    Even as a fan, I get bored when an artist do the same thing over and over again.

Artists need to continuously keep things fresh and reinvent themselves. Sometimes taking risks pays off, sometimes it doesn't. If it didn't work as well as hoped, it is still not a good reason to fall back into safe zone.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I feel that lyrics are part is part of the sounds and the way writers (Carrie included) tackled the characters in Smoke Break are in the same style of the way Carrie tackled characters in Temporary Home and Something in the Water despite vastly different subject matter. I don't know how to explain it but that's why I always hear it as a a Carrie plus from bridge to the end where Carrie just lets loose I though was definitely Carrie sounding. I understand the rest of the production was different from Carrie has done, but I still loved even though clearly not everyone else did lol. Dirty Laundry is classic Carrie and a perfect example when Carrie talked about the songs being more laid back. This definitely is an updated and laid back vocal of subject matter she's covered before. I will admit Heartbeat doesn't really have much an identity. It does sound like a Sam Hunt song. Carrie sounds great on it but I do agree even though the song is personal to her (and Mike) the track itself could sound like a Sam Hunt track.

As for WAY, it just always felt so out of place to me on the album. The more contemporary songs were on the first half of the CD so to have it at the end after shifting sound for the whole second half it just never felt it belonged. When I listen to Carrie songs on shuffle I do enjoy it but it is not a song I ever really connected to. I also kinda associated Mutt with my favorite Shania songs so this felt like a letdown too.

•  
    Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast